MAGIC is an interdisciplinary research lab with research projects in Ubiquitous Computing, HCI, systems, and multimedia. Current areas of interest include an exploration of large screen public displays, work on mobile multimedia services, vision techniques including person, object and gesture recognition, multi-modal interfaces for large screen displays, and middleware abstractions for ubiquitous computing systems.
MAGIC performs research both in-house in our labs in the Forest Science Centre and with our affiliates in their labs in facilities across the university. We have a strong association with ICICS (http://www.icics.ubc.ca) that has leading edge HCI, graphics and visualization facilities where many of our affiliates are working on MAGIC related projects. When starting projects we use our extensive affiliate network to find the best people and the best facilities at UBC (and SFU) to effectively perform the research.
Digital Voice Group
- GRASSP - Gesturally Realized Audio, Speech and Song Performance
- DIVAs - Gestural Control of DIgital Ventriloquized Actors
Visual Analytics Group
Cloud computing and systems middleware Group
Ubiquitous Computing Group
- Internet of Things (IoT) - A Multimodal Communication Middleware (MagicBroker 2) for the Internet of Things.
- PSPI Public Screens, Personal Interaction
- Sensors and Sustainability - platform for participative sensing and sustainability.
- Mobile Technologies for Older Adults
Human Communication Technology
- The Ouija Project - Implicit Cognition & Ideomotor Effect
- My View - Multi-camera sports viewing
- The Rhetoric of Gameplay
- More (HCT projects here)
Interactive Community Displays
- Third Place. Leveraging mobile devices, public screens, social media and geographic location to create the Architecture of the future.
- Gesture based interaction in the home
- An intelligent instrument: composition, structure and improvisation in visual music
- Ubicomp Common Model - a common programming model and framework for ubicomp systems integration.
- Mobile Multimedia Urban Shared Experience (MUSE)
- PlaceMedia and MUSEcap - Context aware platform and applications
- Scheherazade - Context aware video mash-ups
- Table-based Large Screen Interaction - table-top & large screen interaction
- Large Screen collaboration in the home
- MAGIC Board - a public large screen interactive voting application
- The Fugitive - Location aware gaming